Thursday, August 10, 2006

Raja Yoga- climbing the mountain

The other day I found myself describing the last four limbs of raja yoga to a group of students in a way that I had never thought of before....

When we meditate its like being a mountain climber. At first we gather our resources, we remove distractions and prepare for the climb - pratyahara. Then we concentrate on the path so we do not loose our step... ( Dharana) As we near the peak the endorphins kick in and our ascent feels effortless... It seems easy to reach the top ( Dhyana) when we reach the top we can see the magnificance of the vista below. In climbing the mountain we master the mountain. We merge with the clear air and the view below ( samadhi)

Some of us are good at gathering our strength and some of us are able to concentrate on the path... sometimes everything flows effortlessly and sometimes our perspective enables us to feel one with our experiences...

We are the changers and the changeless....

1 comment:

KK said...

Hi Rachel - you've been tagged in the Eight Great Things bloganza. I've tagged you in the hope you'll post again, because I've enjoyed reading your archives! Check out my list at http://yogademia.blogspot.com. I look forward to reading yours soon!